Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Hikers Rash- hum.....

Yesterday I went for a nice walk. The weather was great. It was sunny and warm and I set off on a 15 km/9 mile walk. I had a great time.

However when I returned home and took off my boots, I had a nasty looking rash on my right ankle area. It was strange looking because it ended just where my boot did.  I sort of thought it was heat rash or something.  I put cream on it and took a benedryl hoping it would help.

This morning I woke to find it wasn't any better. In fact it looked a little worse. I went ahead to the doctors to make sure it wasn't anything serious. Ok, make sure it wasn't serious enough to make me stop walking. ;-)

The doctor looked at it and said that most likely it is due to being on my feet for long periods of time. Seems the blood pools in the legs and the blood vessels start to break down. The doctor told me to rest and see if it clears up. I can rest a bit, for now.

Then I did some research online, like we all do, and there is something called Hikers rash or
Golfer's Vasculitis.  I never knew of such a thing. I guess I should be happy that this is the first time I have had to deal with it. Never on any of my other walks, not even the half marathons, did I have this happen.  Last year in Savannah, Georgia I did get a heat rash on other parts of my body. 

So when the weather get warmer there are new things to be aware of. And here I thought once it got a bit warm and not hot all would be easy. 

For now I will rest a couple days. Then I have a trip to England! The doctor told me just to make sure I rest more than I have been. I think that will help, especially since i haven't been taking many breaks on my training walks. Good lesson to learn.

The good news is, its not really painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment