Monday, February 9, 2015

Walking with a pack

On Saturday the weather was nice and I had the opportunity to go for a nice walk outside. I had taken Friday as a rest day from the gym, so by Saturday I felt less sore.  I decided to take my backpack with me. My backpack is filled with most of the items I will need for the Camino. With the exception of food. Currently it weighs about 12 pounds.

When I set off I thought I would just go for a couple miles. The walk it self was nice. The weather was in the mid 60's with a nice breeze. I was wearing the under amour long sleeve shirt, which is light. I was testing to see how the pack would be on my arms with long sleeves. The first time I walked with the pack my arms chaffed on the inside. So this time I wore a light weight long sleeve shirt to see if it helped.

With the nice breeze and the sunshine I found myself just walking and walking. Next thing I know its nearly 5pm, time for me to get home for dinner, and I had completed 5 miles. I felt strong, and even though my back felt the weight of the pack it was not hurting. Funny I felt I could go on more, but when i got home and took the pack off I started to feel sore.  I won't say pain. Just the feeling of using your muscles, in a good way.

I am happy to say when I woke Sunday I wasn't sore at all. I feel stronger and more confident I will be able to do the walk. I know I have a lot of work still to do. I can see how the strength training will help me be more prepared for the Camino.




No comments:

Post a Comment