Monday, February 2, 2015

Preparing for the Walk

Having decided to answer the call to the Camino and having made firm plans to do it. I now need a plan of action to get me physically from where I am fitness-wise to where I would like to be for the walk.

For starters,  I should explain my fitness level at this time. Here it goes, I will be totally honest, mostly for myself.  I am in my early 50's, female, and by all standards obese, fat. There I said it! I am not proud of that fact, but I find that i need to be honest with myself and face my fears. And perhaps this is one of the lessons I will learn from this journey.  I think my mantra should be "let go".  To let go of fear, to let go of past hurts, and to let go of the weight I carry. I need to lighten my load. Not only in my back pack, or my body, but in my heart.

For years I have been working towards losing weight and getting more healthy and fit.  I am proud of the fact that I have made big changes in my life towards that goal. I have lost  weight, about 50 pounds so far. I have changed my eating habits for the better. Okay, I still have an occasion day or two that's not great, but then again we all do.  I have also walked in 5k's with the family and have completed 4 half marathons. With each event my time has gotten better.  I am down 3 dress sizes. So I have seen results with my efforts.

However,  for the last few months I have felt like I hit a wall, a plateau I just can't seem to break. So it is time for me step up the game and focus on breaking through this hurdle.  Now with a firm date and goal in mind I find myself motivated and rejuvenated.  Its funny how something like an event can make us work towards our goal easier. At least I find that to be true with me.

It is now February and my trip is in June. Roughly 17 weeks away.  Also on the horizon in the near future is a half marathon I am doing over Valentines weekend. So lots to prepare for.

The walking part of the Camino is not a real issue to me. I realize i will be walking basically a half marathon every day for the week we are gone.  While I was training before I was doing 5-8 miles a day.  Since Christmas I will admit that between the weather and some health issues I have not been doing that routine. However that all changes now.

February first I walked for 4 miles. Today, I walked for 5.  I will start off by walking consistently everyday. I will walk for 6 days and have a rest day.  My goal for this next 2 weeks is to just walk everyday between 4-5 miles.  I will also do one day a week to start, of walking with my pack.  i know I have time, but I feel the sooner I get used to wearing the pack, the better I will be.

The part of the Camino that I am most concerned about fitness wise is the hills and carrying the weight.  I live in an area with flat land. My walking trail is flat as flat can be. Its a great path, but it is flat.  I know in order to make it over the Pyrenees I need to get some hill training in.  Also I know I need to add strength training to my work outs, and increases my intensity.  So with that in mind I joined a gym today. Planet Fitness in fact.  I belonged to Planet Fitness when I lived in New York and needed a place to work out in the winter.  This gym just opened up in December and has all the newest equipment. To include a stair climbing machine. Not just the stair masters, but one with huge steps. I guess its like Jacobs Ladder machines. I will tell you more once I use it.  I figure with the use of that equipment and my daily walks I should be more fit for the journey.

The key to this is consistency and commitment. Too often in the past I start fast on something to just get bored or let things get in the way of my commitment to myself.  I need to focus on putting myself first on my list of things to do! I am hoping by writing this blog I will hold myself accountable and it will force me to continue, even on those days when I'd rather not.

17 weeks and counting!




No comments:

Post a Comment