Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day Three Pamplona to Puente la Reina.

The sun streamed into the room and soon it was time to start our day. After all we had to be to breakfast on time! Somehow we just didn't want to disappoint the lady. So we headed down the street to the bar. She welcomed us with a smile and showed us to the back room where there were tables. She showed us to the table that was set with two cups and bread, and meat and cheeses. Then she took our order for hot beverages. Next she brought over fresh made toast.  It was great service! There was so much food to eat we ended up packing up some cheese and bacon and bread for later.

After we had our fill and paid our bill we started to head out. The lady, really should have gotten her name, motioned for us to wait. Then she help up her phone to us. She had a translation app and it said "I will show you where to get the path to the Camino".  We nodded and waited.  After taking care of the other patrons, she motioned for us to follow her and out the door she went. We were expecting her to point in the general direction of where we needed to go. However she just started to walk and so we followed. This woman could walk too and fast! I did my best to keep up. We crossed some large streets and went down some roads. Not sure how far it was but it was quiet a walk. She then stopped at a park and pointed at the Camino sign, and smiled. We thanked her and she wished us a Buen Camino, and off she went back to the bar. We both just stood there watching her for a moment, amazed at the help she gave us. I said a prayer of thanks for her and we set off for the day.

We had a long day ahead of us. The guide book said 22km.  I had found an allburge in Puente la Reina that I really wanted to stay out, so I knew I just had to do my best to get there.  We did have the advantage of leaving out of Pamplona from the outskirts. The walk started out pretty level and on dirt paths. We soon found ourselves with many other pilgrims. There was a steady steam of us dotting the pathway.

Today was the day we would have a significant climb again, up to 'Alto del Pedron' (Hill of Forgiveness) pass. This is the hill with the iron pilgrims sculptures and the wind turbines. I was really looking forward to reaching the top. The weather was pleasant. Even though the clouds looked menacing it helped keep the temperature down. As we walked we saw the group of French pilgrims pass us.

The views on top of the mountain were amazing! Breathtaking in fact. Also its nice to take the moment and look back on where we started from. From up here we could see all the way to Pamplona. It was then I realized how large that city was. Also I had to feel pretty proud of us for making it up here.


Also at the top of the hill is a food truck where you can get refreshment and a stamp for your passport. We meet an American pilgrim there. She is from Denver and we chatting for awhile. Soon it was time to move on. We heard it was all down hill from here. 

We quickly learned that "all downhill" doesn't always mean easier. Yes it was downhill, but the path was made up of rocks, loose rocks. It soon became clear that this could take as much time going down as it did coming up.  Every step seemed to have to be thought of. There was a few time my ankle twisted and I began to worry I might sprain it.  We continued on. Down, down the rocks we went. Then we came across a 'rock garden" of sorts on the side. Hundreds of small piles of rocks, all stacked up three or four high.  When I first saw it and realized what it was I had to stop and just look. The picture does not do it justice. It was just such a site to see. That all these people who passed this way before had taken the time to make these piles. 


A few kilometers down the way we passed the French group who had stopped to have lunch.  It was not far from here that I began to feel ill. Dehydration had hit me. Here I thought I had been drinking plenty of water, but I guess I hadn't.  So from that point on we were a little slower. Sometimes you have to play little games with your mind to push yourself forward. I will say were were getting pretty tired by mid afternoon.  We came up a hill in front of us and noticed the French group gaining ground behind us. It became our "mission" to beat the French up the hill. So we gave it all we had and we did beat them up the hill. Then we rested a bit and they passed up. Oh well, the point was we beat them up the hill. 


 As we got closer to the town I had said I thought the alburgue was once again on the other side.  We were pleasantly surprised to see that once we crossed the river right there was the alburge. What a welcome site! 


We checked in and were shown to our room, told what time dinner was and left to relax for a bit. We checked on doing laundry but the washer was busy. We cleaned up and sorted our packs out. Recharged batteries, tried the internet to check in with family and had a bit of a rest.  Soon it was time for dinner.  Dinner consisted of a buffet of starters and salads and then a mail course, fish or chicken, and dessert. In addition there was both white and read wine.  Dinner looked wonderful! The buffet had lobster bisque, stuff crab on the shells, salad, paella, the list went on and on. It was such a same that my stomach wasn't feeling well. I did try my best to eat. It was just a shame I didn't enjoy it more. 


After dinner we were able to get some laundry done and then time to call it a night. Another day on the camino done. So far neither of us were having foot or leg pains, and I was thankful for that. 


Total Distance 22 Km


No comments:

Post a Comment